Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weeknight Fish Tacos!

A good friend introduced me to an easy, kid-friendly way make fish tacos. At least once a month I make fish tacos on a weeknight. It doesn't require much planning ahead since most of the ingredients are basic refrigerator staples or freezer/pantry items.  I usually spread the taco "fixins" (yee haw!) on the dining table so everyone can make them to their liking.


                                               

The easy part of this taco is the fish. Use fried fish fillets (cut after heating) or fish sticks from the freezer section!  Yes, yes, fried is evil...but when served inside a taco with other toppings the fried serving is fairly small.  As you can see in the BLINDING photo above, there are some healthy components to these tacos.
These tacos are largely a matter of assembly but I'll give a quick recipe I created for my version of the tacos:

Salty Lime Purple Cabbage

1/2 head purple cabbage
juice of 1-2 limes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon oil
dash of pepper if you feel like it

Squeeze lime into medium size mixing bowl. Add salt and oil, whisk.  Shred cabbage and add to bowl with lime mixture. Toss. This gets better as it soaks up the lime, so if you have the time let it sit in the fridge for an hour.


The next step is to stick the fish into the oven. While the fish is heating add about 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 TBSP water into a cast iron skillet on low heat.  Take a few minutes to prep your other toppings (avocado, sour cream, lime slices).  Crank up the skillet so that your corn gets roasted, the water should have evaporated and you should see browning on the corn after a few minutes. Add a rinsed and drained can of black beans (or heat them separately).  



We use corn tortillas for our tacos, but whole wheat flour is tasty also.  Warm these in the skillet as you're taking the fish out of the oven and then rustle up the cowboys! Everyone takes a bowl or two of fixings to the table and you are ready to enjoy.



Since taking these photos about a month ago I have discovered the macro setting on my little cheapy camera.  I really regret not playing around more with the camera and I want to kick myself when I think of the hundreds of cruddy photos I've taken of my kids!  I'll try not to torture you with horid photos in future posts.




No comments:

Post a Comment